The Day After the Big Day

Charlie standing tall  While Charlie's dental surgery went quite smoothly, and while he didn't have any nausea or dizziness from the anesthesia (he ate heartily once we were home—he'd not had anything to eat after 7pm on Wednesday night—and we went out for two walks round the neighborhood), there was the inevitable 'something'; an after-effect.

He couldn't go to sleep at all on Thursday night. 

Even though he'd woken before 5.30am on Thursday to get to the hospital by 6am.

Even though he had not napped at all on Thursday after coming home. 

Even though he got in his exercise. 

Even though, once Charlie was in bed, Jim and I took care to be quiet and crept around the house and turned up the air-conditioning so Charlie would be cool and comfortable (the bedrooms of our 1920s house are on the second floor; the AC works well, but it has been hot). Charlie finally fell asleep around 11.30pm after tossing and turning and woke about 3 hours later.

With Charlie up at 2.30am, I set the timer and he stayed in his room and even lay down on his bed until the sky started lightening up. Jim and I kept hearing his voice: Charlie was cheerful, sometimes quiet, but mostly lively. I had set the timer to ring at 6.30 am but Charlie was ready to go at 6am, so out we went for a walk. He didn't yawn once (I did) and smiled on and off, except when we encountered his latest aversion:


Charlie always takes care to walk far around these. I would have thought that, fishboy as he is, he would like a quick dosing of water, but I can see why he's prefer to avoid sprinklers. As Jim tells me, Charlie also rides clear of sprinklers while on his bike. I'm suspecting that Charlie is startled to feel water (and a thin, though strong, stream at that from a place where there's no discernible body of water). Plus. he might not (at first) see the sprinkler, and so be all the more surprised. 

But sprinklers were the only obstacle (which they really weren't) we encountered on our walk. Once home, Charlie gathered his things and went to sit in the white car, where he dozed off just a bit before Jim drove him to school. Charlie had a good day, staying awake the whole time. His class went to a local supermarket where Charlie, for the first time, didn't follow the shopping list with items suggested by me (Saltines, bananas, soap) instead choosing rice Chex-like cereal and a bottle of ginger ale. His teacher wrote that he'd also asked to get red box of brownies like the one that he got totally obsessed about a few months ago. She had him get an item (bananas) that I'd suggested. I'm going to write to her on Monday about Charlie getting into a too-tight routine at supermarkets; perhaps we could work on a list in which he gets to choose some items, and I others.

Charlie and I made at a stop at the bank and then picked up Jim at the train. And then Charlie, with that pleased-with-himself-smile, went to his room and slept until 7.30pm. As I've often noted, we usually worry about how afternoon naps will affect his overall sleep schedule. But Charlie seemed pretty much to be (as Jim put it) running on fumes on Friday, and no sleep: One does need, however occasionally, to rest! 

Charlie took his time waking up. The sun was still up but starting to set as he and Jim went on a bike ride. Even though he'd had a long, late-ish nap, Charlie still went to bed by 10.30pm and was asleep within at hour.

We figured, too, that Charlie might be having a bit of a lag after Thursday, not to mention the fact that—with two fillings and a protective sealant applied to his teeth during the dental surgery—his mouth and gums and teeth might well be feeling a bit odd. 

Big days take at least a bit of time to process. 

2 Responses to “The Day After the Big Day”
  1. Whoa. No sleep and he still did so well! Impressive! Sorry for the loss of sleep though.

  2. autismvox says:

    He made up for it a bit on Friday night (fortunately for all of us).

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

  • What’s all this about?

%d bloggers like this: